Hey Proper Friends, if you’d like to see pictures of our last event whether it’s to get a feel for what we do or remember the great time you had, go to our facebook gallery link Thanksgiving 2012 Pictures
PROPER’s 12th Annual Thanksgiving Day event was yet another hit, from warm smiling faces, to delicious hot plates, tons of desserts and Amazing fun-filled entertainment!!!
The event united the Community by brining together eager volunteers, donors, families, elders, and folks from diverse backgrounds. We wholeheartedly fulfilled our desire of providing the community with a home away from home experience filled with love. With each coming year it only gets better.
Thank you for being a part and we look forward to see you at our next event!!!
North Portland Cooperative Thanksgiving Effort to Feed the Community
PORTLAND, OR (November 5th, 2012) – North Portland community enhancement organization, PROPER, and non-profit soul food cafe, Po’Shines, are teaming up to host a free Thanksgiving Feed on Thursday, November 22nd, from noon to 4pm. The dinner is open to the greater community and encourages volunteer participation and community contributions.
The event marks the 12th annual Kenton Thanksgiving dinner that PROPER has hosted for the North Portland Community. Over the years the event has gained continual support from the community, through food donations – with the 2011 dinner serving over 500+ people. The PROPER organization also puts on an annual community festival. The festival is comprised of and ultimately organized by local artists, associations, businesses and invested residents. In all of the community events that they host, PROPER strives to gather maximum community involvement and support. For instance, this marks the 4th year that PROPER has chosen Po’Shines Cafe as the partnering organization for the Thanksgiving Feed.
“We jump at opportunities like this,” says Chef James Bradley, “The more we can get people working together, talking together…and even eating together, the stronger we are as a community. The PROPER Thanksgiving Feed is a great example of how to build community.”
“What we’ve been showing for the last 11 years is that a community Thanksgiving celebration doesn’t have to be sorry,” says PROPER chair Deborah Sampson, “It shows that community is a beautiful give and receive experience.”
This year, the organizations hope to reach more community members than ever before. This year will feature a full Thanksgiving dinner with vegan and vegetarian options and live music, including award-winning singer and storyteller Anne-Louise Sterry and Native-American storyteller Linda Meanus.
Donations of goods, as well as monetary donations, are welcome - please contact Robin at 503.890-5393 – firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to volunteer contact Kim at 303-918-3432. For more information about the event in general, visit properusa.net.
Appreciate the Table of Thanksgiving, community style
Thursday, November 22, 2012
Talented entertainment, fun volunteering, very good food, new and old friends on their best and most real behavior– How could we not come back to a table like this? It’s a beautiful thing and we hope to see you again or for the first time: Thanksgiving Day: 12-4pm FREE
For General information call Deborah at 503-286-1488, or email email@example.com
- including Vegan and vegetarian options
- Donations:non-perishable Thanksgiving-related food items or paper goods
- Volunteer: pass out flyers, chef, prep food, set up, serve food, cleanup, and more
- Entertainers, musicians, vocalists, poets, storytellers
We’ll be celebrating at Celebration Tabernacle at 8131 N Denver, next door to Po’Shines Cafe de la Soul – as its space has become just too small for our turnouts. Come out of yourself, bring what you have (a good appetite and grateful attitude) to the Table of Thanksgiving: Music & Entertainment | Good Food | Community.
Hope all is well with you and that we’ll see you there.
DIRECTIONS: take Lombard West past Fred Meyer, second light from Interstate, Right on N Denver Ave. Street parking, TriMet 4, Yellow MAX -Kenton Station
Landmarks: Paul Bunyan Statue, Rite Aid, Kenton Liquor Store, Kenton Library
In collaboration with Po’Shines Café de la Soul and Celebration Tabernacle Church, PROPER is sponsoring its 11th Annual FREE Thanksgiving Feast on Thanksgiving Day, 12-4pm. A full Thanksgiving dinner with vegetarian options and live (and lively) entertainment, kicking off with award-winning singer and storyteller Anne-Louise Sterry and friends. Doing Thanksgiving community-style is a beautiful thing, come join us on this special day.
Volunteers and donations welcome.
available volunteer positions as of November 16, 2011
- Donations — perishable and non-perishable Thanksgiving-related items, mostly turkeys and hams, or paper goods, coupons, vouchers
- Flyering the neighborhood — wear walking shoes, go with a group or do it on your own time!
- Administration — website development, marketing
- Signs and Banners, Decorate — hang banners in designated areas (appropriate materials and locations given) Help create other event signage if necessary. Some physical exertion required
- Cook or bake — experience and food handler’s license required, prepare vegan menu options, vegan ingredients and professional kitchen provided, meals may be prepared in advance where presence is not required on event day
- Be a part of the Entertainment — call Deborah at 503-286-1488 (music, poetry, storytelling)
- Wall of Gratitude — (long or short) write your personal story for display on the Wall of Thanksgiving on Thursday. We’re hoping the end product shows a broad perspective of what it means to be thankful. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the link.
Robin at 503.890-5393 - email@example.com
See you at the table: 12-4PM Thursday, November 24 – Thanksgiving Day
8131 N Denver Ave, (Kenton District) North Portland OR 97217
PROPER’s Holiday Feasts are an extension of our summer networking festivals – always free, family friendly, vegetarian-friendly and all about “Uniting Community Across All Lines.”
“uniting community across all lines” celebrating 20 years of service
Click to View Flyer.
Saturday, July 16th at McCoy Park with annual Basketball Tournament
Saturday, August 27th at Kenton Park with annual Bike and Car Show
- basketball tournament
- booth registration
- bike & car show registration
- vocalists, musicians, performers
Feel welcome to join in the planning, contact Robin Gordon at 503-890-5393 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other community events, TBA
- Thanksgiving Day, Thursday November 24th